In 1995 the “Orange Heights – Barnhart Tracts Historic District” became the first neighborhood in the city of Pasadena, California to be added to the National Register of Historic Places. Identified as District #95001128 by the NRHP, the neighborhood is defined as being bounded to the West by Los Robles Avenue, to the East by El Molino Avenue, to the North by Jackson Street, and to the South by Mountain Boulevard.
Once known as “Pill Hill”, because of the large number of physicians and care givers who lived in the neighborhood, Orange Heights has always been at the heart of Pasadena’s civic life. Some of the city’s most prominent citizens have lived here, attracted by the beautiful architecture, terraced yards, tree lined streets, and mountain views.
Although Pasadena has grown and changed during the last century, Orange Heights still appears today much as it did over eighty years ago.
Orange Heights – Barnhart Tracts Historic District
See District #95001128 at:
An extract of Orange Heights properties from the larger Pasadena survey of 1904-18 Pasadena houses. This data is a gift from John Ripley.
Survey of Craftsman Houses
Pasadena Digital History (for Orange Heights)
Pasadena Digital History Collaboration (PDHC) is a cooperative partnership with Pasadena City College Shatford Library, Pasadena Museum of History, Pasadena Public Library, and other community partners. The mission of PDHC is to assemble, digitize, and make web-accessible historical documents and artifacts that represent Pasadena’s heritage for the benefit of both the local community and researchers world-wide.